Apr. 12, 2018The cost to install a new thermostat in New Jersey ranges from $200 to $400+.
But that’s just an average range. What you’ll actually pay depends on:
- The thermostat you choose
- Who you hire to install the thermostat
Want a quote for a new thermostat right away? Just contact us.
Thermostats fall into 3 categories (listed below from least expensive to most expensive):
Factor #1: The thermostat you choose
Now we’ll dive in a little deeper for more info about each type of thermostat…
A manual thermostat is the most basic type of thermostat you can buy. It’s designed to do 2 simple things:
- Turn ON your cooling/heating system once the room’s temperature falls below the set temperature
- Turn OFF your cooling/heating system once the room meets the set temperature
Two types of manual thermostat models include:
The next step up in terms of cost and features is a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats cost around $90–$200+ on average.
The main feature of programmable thermostats is that you can “program” them to follow a particular cooling/heating schedule, which saves you money on your energy bills. According to Energy.gov, programmable thermostats can save you 10% on heating/cooling bills when set correctly.
Below is an example of how you could program your thermostat (in summer):
- 8 am — You leave for work, and the thermostat goes from 72° to 82° (Energy.gov says adjusting your thermostat 7°–10° for 8 hours every day can save you 10% on energy bills annually.)
- 4:30 pm — Thermostat starts to cool your home to 72°
- 5:30 pm — You get home from work to a cool house (72°)
Smart thermostats are programmable thermostats with more features. They cost $200–$500+ on average.
Some features of smart thermostats include:
- Touch screen displays
- Ability to control via smartphone or tablet
- Learning ability (where the thermostat learns your schedule instead of you having to program it)
- Dirty air filter or weather notifications
- Multiple zone control options
Factor #2: Who you hire to install the thermostatMost thermostat professionals charge anywhere from $100–$300 to install a new thermostat. However, quality professionals will likely be on the upper end of that price range.
The better the install, the more it will probably cost. But don’t let that scare you away from hiring a more expensive professional to do the job.
A poorly installed thermostat can cause your HVAC system to run inefficiently or not work altogether, so it’s better to have the job done right in the beginning.
Just contact us or give us a call.
Need a thermostat installed by a quality New Jersey tech?
We’d be happy to answer any questions you may have or help you schedule an appointment with on of our trusted techs to install a new thermostat.