Apr. 03, 2018
On average, New Jersey homeowners can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $250+ to have their air conditioner professionally maintained.
You see, AC service/maintenance costs vary depending on:
- The HVAC company you choose to maintain your AC
- What’s included on the AC maintenance “checklist”
The cost of your AC maintenance visit depends on…
1. The HVAC company you chooseMost HVAC companies offer some sort of maintenance. But not all companies charge the same. The general rule is that higher quality contractors offer higher maintenance prices.
But don’t walk away from a company just because their maintenance prices are higher. Instead, ask them why their prices are higher than others and then determine whether they are worth the cost.
A fair warning: some HVAC companies make a lot of money by offering lower-priced maintenance visits that are barely more than a quick inspection (no cleaning, lubricating or testing). Or worse, some companies offer super low maintenance prices just to “get in the door” and then scare homeowners into buying repairs/upgrades that they don’t really need.
So how do you know how to make the “right” choice when it comes to choosing an AC maintenance professional?
By following these tips:
- Verify that the contractor is licensed and insured in the state of New Jersey
- Make sure the company has been in business for at least 10 years
- Ask them to provide references of current maintenance customers
- Check that they have solid reviews on major review sites (such as Google+)
- Ask what’s included in their “AC maintenance checklist” and compare it to Energy Star’s suggested checklist
- A quality AC maintenance visit
- A mere inspection sold as a “maintenance” visit
Always ask a company what’s included on their air conditioning maintenance checklist before you choose to do business with them.
2. What’s included on their AC maintenance “checklist”
If they’re experienced in AC maintenance services, they should be able to answer your question quickly. In fact, they’ll probably have a checklist in writing that they can provide you.
According to Energy Star, here’s what a tech should perform in an A/C maintenance visit:
- Check thermostat settings
- Check air filter and replace if needed
- Tighten electrical connections on all motors
- Measure the voltage and current on all motors
- Add lubrication to all moving parts
- Inspect the condensate drain for clogs
- Check system controls
- Check evaporator coil
- Clean condenser coils *Does not include the use of detergent
- Check refrigerant levels
- Inspect all blower components
Want to know what’s included in our maintenance services? We have our full maintenance checklist here for your viewing.
Most HVAC companies that provide maintenance services also provide maintenance “packages”.
Pro tip: Save $ with a maintenance package vs a one-time maintenance visit
The difference between these 2 services?
Well, when you purchase a one-time maintenance visit, you get your AC maintained once and that’s it.
- But, when you buy a maintenance plan or “package”, you often get the check-up service PLUS:
- An additional check-up visit (to be scheduled whenever you need it)
- Discounts on any needed repairs (discounts usually available for the entire year)
- Various extra benefits (depending on contractor)
- One-time maintenance visits often cost anywhere from $100-$250
- Maintenance plans often cost anywhere from $150 to $300+
Just contact us and join the maintenance plan that over 2,000+ New Jersey homeowners use every year!
Interested in AC maintenance services?
At Air Experts, we offer a comprehensive maintenance package for just $20/month ($228 a year) that includes:
- 1 cooling maintenance visit a year
- 1 heating maintenance visit a year
- 20% off repairs needed throughout the year (average savings=$100/repair)
- Lifetime warranty on parts installed
- Priority customer service (your needs come before non-plan members)
- 24-hour customer service