If so, the first thing on your mind is probably price.
Well, the cost to repair a furnace in New Jersey ranges from $60 to $1,200+, with most homeowners paying around $300 on average for a typical repair.
Why the big price range?
The cost to repair a furnace varies based on these 3 main factors.
- The type of repair
- Warranty you have
- The contractor you choose
Some repairs are more expensive than others. Think of a technician fixing your furnace like a mechanic fixing your car.
Cost factor #1: The type of repair
If your car just needs a simple oil change, it won’t be very expensive. But if your car needs a new transmission, then you’ll have a high bill to pay. And you may even consider if it’s worth it to repair your car, or if you should just buy a new one.
It’s the same with furnaces. The type of repair largely dictates what you’ll end up paying, which includes factors like...
Parts of a furnace heating system
- Replacement parts: Some parts (like a heat exchanger) are very expensive. Others, not so much (like a simple furnace flame sensor). Another factor that determines the price of a replacement part is the furnace age. If your furnace is old, it may be difficult to locate replacement parts, which makes them more expensive.
- Labor: Some repairs take longer than others to fix. If your furnace is in a hard-to-reach place like a tiny crawl space, then the repair may take longer than normal.
- Severity of damage: If a part is badly damaged, it may take longer to fix, or it may even need to be replaced (which usually costs more money).
However, below are some common furnace repairs with the average price range to fix them:
- Blower motor repairs—usually around $150–$450+
- Flame sensor repairs—typically between $80–$250+
- Thermostat repairs—normally around $50–$200+
- Heat exchanger repairs—on the low end, $100–$200. But if yours needs to be replaced, that costs around $1,000–$2,000+
Most new furnaces come with a warranty that covers defective parts if they fail within a certain time period.
Cost factor #2: Warranty you have
For example, most warranties cover the heat exchanger for up to 20 years, and other less-expensive parts for up to 10 years. Some warranties cover only the replacement part, not the labor involved in reinstalling it.
You’ll have to find the specifics of your warranty to see what’s covered and what is not. If you have lost the paperwork related to your furnace, contact the contractor who installed your furnace. They can usually provide warranty info and let you know what’s covered or what isn’t.
Warning: If you haven’t regularly maintained your furnace or you’ve altered it in some way that deviates from the manufacturer’s standards in some way, your warranty may be voided.
Contractors charge differently for their services, and that affects what you’ll end up paying for a furnace repair.
Cost factor #3: The contractor you choose
Before you hire a contractor, be aware of these different repair cost elements:
- Service call charge: Most HVAC contractors charge a standard call charge fee, which is the cost to visit your home and take a look at the problem. This fee ranges from $50 to $200. Sometimes a contractor will waive the fee if they can repair the problem in the same visit.
- Hourly vs. flat rate: Some contractors charge by the hour, which means as a consumer, you don’t know exactly how much you’ll pay upfront because it depends on how long it takes to repair the furnace problem. Other contractors charge a fixed, flat rate upfront, which means you’ll know exactly what you’ll end up paying from the get-go.
- The contractor’s quality: Usually, higher quality contractors are more expensive. But they also do a better job. Beware of contractors who come in with low repair estimates because they often try to use a “bait-and-switch” approach, where they raise the price of the repair at the end. Plus, a poorly repaired furnace almost always leads to more repairs down the road.
Contact Air Experts to schedule a furnace repair. We’ll send one of our trusted technicians to your home to get your heating system running smoothly again.
Need furnace technician in New Jersey?
Take advantage of our current coupon, 10% Off Any Service Repair.
Ask An Expert
You have questions?
We have answers.
View our coupons and
exclusive online savings.
Check if we are currently
servicing your area.
Get the comfort you need at a price you can afford!Read about Financing